In the late 90s, I got a gold crown on an upper left molar. In 2008, my dentist at the time did a root canal on that tooth. Last month I started feeling a dull ache in the tooth. My dentist said my gums around the tooth were inflamed, so she prescribed oral penicillin and referred me to an endodontist who examined the tooth with a surgical microscope. She said the tooth cracked, and she recommended extracting it. She doesn’t think a root canal will help the tooth.
Now that I’m taking the penicillin, the infection in my gums is gone. I’m hesitant about getting the tooth extracted because I do not feel any pain. I’m thinking about canceling my extraction appointment with the endodontist and waiting to see if I feel symptoms again. Maybe this referral is a way for my dentist to make more money because I’ll need an implant and crown if the tooth is extracted. How long can I delay an extraction? Thank you, Breigh from NJ
You are taking a significant risk by waiting until you have symptoms again.
A dentist or endodontist can use an implant to replace an unsavable cracked tooth
Reasons not to delay tooth extraction include:
It does not seem that your dentist and endodontist are recommending extraction to make money on a dental implant and crown. Although you can seek a second opinion from another dentist, we strongly advise you not to put it off until you feel symptoms again and need an urgent appointment.
Elgin, Illinois dentist Dr. Steve Sirin sponsors this post.
We look forward to meeting you.
Call (847) 742-1330 or request an appointment online to set up your first visit. We’ll be in touch soon.